Internships Open to Genetics Majors
Sui Tong Chan Fung Fund for the Promotion of Study and Research in Genetics - Summer Undergraduate Internships
- The Department of Genetics, Development, and Cell Biology is accepting applications for summer research internships for the summer of 2021. These internships provide ISU undergraduate students majoring or minoring in Genetics an opportunity for full-time hands-on research in the discipline. Participants are expected to work 40 hours per week; enrollment in summer courses is discouraged. Internships are for an eight-week period and a stipend of $3840 ($12/hour) will be provided by a combination of funds from the faculty mentor and the departmental fund.
- Applicants must be majors in Genetics
- Applicants must be in good academic standing, have at least one semester (Fall 2021) remaining before graduation and be eligible for full time employment by ISU.
- Applicants must identify a research project with a strong genetics component under a faculty mentor who is willing to provide space and support including a contribution of up to $1920 towards the internship stipend. In general, faculty are only willing to provide summer support to students who are already working in their labs during the semester.
- Faculty mentors must be in one of the three departments overseeing the major: EEOB, BBMB, or GDCB.
- Detailed application instructions are available by downloading this file.
- Applications are due March 1, 2021. Plan ahead in order to get the required letters of recommendation on time.
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of faculty and staff.
- Notification of awards will be made no later than Friday, April 2, 2021 by e-mail.
Successful Applicants 2019
- Andrew Lavin, Junior, to work with Dr. Nicole Valenzuela, EEOB
- Jackie Levey, Senior, to work with Dr. Jeff Essner, GDCB
- Sarah Loo, Senior, to work with Dr. Dior Kelley, GDCB
- Katelyn Maliszewski, Junior, to work with Dr. Scott Nelson, BBMB
- Grant Stefanik, Senior, to work with Dr. Jeff Essner, GDCB
- Austin Winker, Senior, to work with Dr. Maura McGrail, GDCB
Other Internships of Interest
University of Iowa, Iowa Institute of Human Genetics, Internship in Genetic Counseling
Together with the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, a summer internship for students interested in clinical genetics (MD specializing in Genetics) or Genetic Counseling is offered. Applications will be accepted in January and February 2021, with specific dates to be announced. Link to information here.
Five ISU Genetics students have received this internship in the past six years and four of these have gone on to genetic counseling programs while one decided to pursue a research career.
University of Iowa, Iowa Institute of Human Genetics, Internship in Bioinformatics
George Washington Carver Internship Program
The 8 week summer research program for undergraduates exposes students to research by matching them with a faculty mentor in their area of interest and allows interns to become familiar with lives of graduate students in a large university and with living in Iowa. Interns participate in weekly seminars and social, cultural, and educational activities in addition to their research experience.
- More information can be found here George Washington Carver Internships
Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)
Students who have interest in pursuing a career in medicine or dentistry are encouraged to apply to participate in the Summer Health Professions Educational Program with various sites across the USA. Programs include both pre-professional coursework and clinical experience.